Sunday, March 8, 2009

Big House Red 2005


After my review of Big House Pink (see the manly man post), I received a note from friend Tom Wyatt on my Facebook account. We'd previously discussed vintner Bonny Doon and how it doesn't do anything poorly.


He also said that Big House Red was his favorite.


Clearly he has good taste, in both wine and friends. (I should note that Tom was a frat boy in college, where any fruit flavor of Mad Dog mixed with Sprite rated 90 points -- IQ points that is.)

Big House Red is meant to taste like a Rhone and it does so by mixing a strange concoction of grapes, so much so it's like reading the ingredient label on the Twinkies package.


But it achieves its complexity in this brew of many varietals, with a mineral and stony base that has bursts of berry flavors, including strong hints of sweet, wild strawberry. You can also glimpse some citrus notes and pepper underpinnings. (I had to wear pepper underpinnings to my English boarding school -- but that's another blog entirely.)


For about $9, it's hard to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment