Thursday, March 5, 2009

Conquista Malbec 2006


On my continuous search for great, cheap wines I had to travel (metaphorically) to South America, where I found Conquista Malbec for $9.


Technically, I stayed in Valparaiso, Ind., to buy the wine -- a savings on the pocket book. Plus the only Spanish I know is "Donde est el banio?" (Where is the bathroom?)


I enjoyed the find without suffering the same fate as two other intrepid searchers, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, who were gunned down like possums "what done someone wrong." (For more lyrics from "The Possum Blues," check out my fictitious music blog.)


I tried the 2006, although most reviewers have raved about this Malbec for the last five years.


Let it breathe a bit and the wine will start with big blueberry flavors that give way to oak and vanilla, all supported by a fine structure of tannins. (That's not to be confused with someone tannin' a loved one's hide.)


Those tannins continue through and the finish of the wine includes more fruit and some toast notes.


It's a remarkably sophisticated and well-balanced wine that will go with big-tasting foods like steaks, chops and Italian.


As the philosopher Butch Cassidy once said in a fictional movie: "You know, it could be worse. You get a lot more for your money in (South America), I checked on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment