Friday, March 6, 2009

Wine log vs. a wine blog




For years, I scoured book stores and Web sites looking for a nice log where I could store my notes on wine tasting and the occasional wine label.




That was before I became the online hepcat I am now.




The problem, for a cheap man, was all the logs were fancy-pants, leather-bound, formulated-to-death books. And they generally cost $30 or more and couldn't be added to if I exceeded the page count -- something I was likely to do.




Most to of them included spaces for entries I don't need: Bin number; cellar number; Cindy Crawford's phone number. Almost all had a little line asking with whom I enjoyed the wine. "Me, myself and I" might be funny the first 50 times, but after that ...




I finally realized I overthought the problem. So I bought one of those $7 journals at a chain book store -- I liked the style without lines -- and that's become my wine log.




I also tracked down an item called "Label Lift" by Oenophilia. These sticky, see-through pieces of plastic go over a wine label and a day later, essentially lift most of the layer of a label off the bottle. They work about 90 percent of the time -- which is more than me. You can find it online or at most large wine retailers. The downside: they cost about $10 for 10 stickers, a little pricey considering I prefer wines less than $10 a bottle.




But now I have my wine log, with limitless possibilities, and I saved up months of notes to start this here blog.




As the wine-loving philosopher J.D. Clampett would have it: "Weeeeeell doggy."


No comments:

Post a Comment